Online SearchingUp one level
Search Engines, Directories, Google Tips, Invisible Web, etc.
- 5th Annual Search Engine Watch Awards
- This year's(3.31.05) best search engines, blogs, image searches and more.
- Google Scholar
- Google's attempt to emulate a library database. Some full-text though most leads to the publisher requesting $$$ for articles. Excellent as a citation index--a way to find who and what article has cited another article or book--a way to track who else might be working on related issues. Also an easy way to verify a citation.
- "5,000,000 articles - not found on any other search engine." Some interesting full-text content from published magazines and journals--a partial substitute for those without access to library databases.
- The Invisible Web
Chris Sherman and Gary Price
Many people are unaware that most of the authoritative information accessible over the Internet is invisible to search engines like AltaVista, HotBot, and Google. This invaluable material resides on "The Invisible Web," which is largely comprised of content-rich databases from universities, libraries, associations, businesses, and government agencies around the world.
- Search Engine Watch
- Provides tips and information about searching the Web, analysis of the search engine industry and help to site owners trying to improve their ability to be found in search engines.