Freshmen Seminar FacultyUp one level
A folder containing a variety of assignments designed to teach Freshmen about the Library and information sources of all kinds.
- Researching a Career, Assignment
- Students are asked to research career paths using library resources or the online Occupational Outlook Handbook.
- Finding a Book/ Using the Catalog, Assignment
- Students are asked to watch the Library tutorials on using the SOUTHcat Catalog. They are then asked to choose a topic, find a circulating book, email themselves the catalog record, and from their own email account forward the record to the instructor.
- Magazine, Trade Journal, Scholarly Journal Comparison, Assignment
- Students are asked to choose 3 periodical, one of each type, from the Current Periodical shelves in the Library. They must then answer several questions by looking at the articles in each.
- List of USA owned Trade Journals--Use with Exercise Above
- Here's a list of the trade journals the University Library shelves on the second floor, south side. Choose one to compare to a academic/scholar journal and a magazine to complete the "Comparison" assignment.
- Different Kinds of Periodicals--Use this with Exercise Above
- This is a webpage that compares newspapers, magazines, trade journals and scholarly journals by audience and use. Some databases where they can be found are included
- Wikipedia Assignment
- An assignment designed to allow student to actively create or edit articles on Wikipedia and thereby allowing them to understand a variety of issues surrounding web authorship and authority.
- Website Evaluation Assignment
- This assignment is designed to alert students to the difference in purpose and often in quality among websites coming from different domains--.gov .edu .org .com .net.
- Website Evaluation Form
- Students are to complete this form using the Website Evaluation Assignment instructions.